Canton - USA
Zoe Farm in Canton Ohio is a family resource farm developed for continuous flow harvesting and self-sufficiency. The steep slopes harbour multiple springs allowing for freshwater ponds and cascading streambeds in rainy times. Systems on the land range from Oaktree silvopasture for grazing and eventually acorn-finished pork, polyculture orchards, Korean Nut Pines, livestock forage islands, swale and berm water management, contour plantings of fruit trees and shrubs, and a multiple habitat patches throughout the property. The family constructed a monolithic dome for an underground earth insulated residence. Southwoods assisted in design, landscaping, and site management surrounding the dome area. Priorities on the land consisted of:
• All features of the property are on contour to reduce erosion and collect nutrients.
• Screening windbreaks for privacy.
• Integrated food production systems.
• Diverse crops in annual and perennial plant systems
• Deer exclusion areas for intense and valuable food crops.
• Reforestation of the steeper slopes with a meadow on gentle slopes.
• Centralized access to residence and production area.
• Cooling shade on the residence in summer converting to maximum solar gain on south-
facing aspects of the buildings in winter.
Climate: Humid Continental Climate
Annual Precipitation: 39 inches
Country: United States
Function: Self Sustaining Homestead and
Size: 10 acres